Start the New Year off with New Savings!
If your New Year’s resolutions include saving money, sprucing up your home, or reducing your environmental footprint, then Cape Light Compact is here to help! We have put together a list of five ways to get started on fulfilling your 2020 goals.
- Complete an online home energy assessment. With our new online home energy assessment, you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your couch to identify opportunities to reduce energy waste and save money. Take approximately five minutes to answer general questions about your home, and we’ll provide you with recommended upgrades, relevant incentives, and estimated energy-savings. If you take the online assessment and decide you’d like to explore even more opportunities to increase your home’s efficiency, you can complete an in-person home energy assessment as well – also at no-cost!
- Stop drafts. If your home feels drafty in the winter, installing air sealing and insulation could be key to greater comfort. By completing an in-home home energy assessment, you’ll become eligible for no-cost air sealing to prevent air leaks through your walls, ceiling, and floors. Completing an in-person home energy assessment also makes you eligible to receive a 75% to 100% incentive on the overall cost for the insulation. Just by improving your home’s air sealing and insulation, the EPA estimates that you could save up to 20% on heating and cooling costs.
- Upgrade your thermostat. A smart thermostat gives you comprehensive control over your home’s comfort by customizing a heating and cooling schedule that works best for you. So, whether you’re trying to keep cozy while spending a weekend home or trying to minimize your heating bill while away for a winter getaway, you can schedule your home’s temperature to adjust accordingly. Plus, the Compact offers a $100 rebate on ENERGY STAR® certified models to help you make the switch! If you’re looking to maximize your convenience, you can get an instant rebate if you purchase a smart thermostat through the Mass Save® Online Storefront.
- Update your appliances. Updating everyday appliances, like room air cleaners, clothes washers and dryers, and refrigerators to energy-efficient ENERGY STAR® certified models is another step for avoiding energy waste. Believe it or not, compared to conventional models, ENERGY STAR® certified rooms air cleaners can use up to 40% less energy, certified dryers can use up to 20% less energy, certified washers can use up to 25% less energy, and certified refrigerators can use up to 10% less energy. Plus, the Compact offers rebates on qualifying versions of these appliances: a $40 rebate for room air cleaners, a $50 rebate for dryers, and up to a $150 rebate for clothes washers if a washer upgrade is recommended during a home energy assessment. For refrigerators and freezers, the Compact offers a $75 rebate to have your old, inefficient model hauled away at no-cost.
- Think about the tap. While we may think low-flow fixtures are primarily for managing water use, they also are a source of energy-savings. Our in-person home energy assessment includes the installation of free low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators that will help reduce overall water use and, in turn, the use of hot water – which requires energy to heat up.
Let’s get started on fulfilling those New Year’s resolutions! Together we can jump into savings and strive to make 2020 your most energy-efficient year yet!