Saving Energy this Summer
Summer is underway, and with higher temperatures, you may be seeing a higher electricity bill. Are you looking for a way to cut that cost while still beating the heat? The team here at Cape Light Compact has some tips and programs to help you do just that.
Here are a few things you can do…
1) Hang your clothes outside to dry. Not only will this conserve energy but air drying will also cause less wear on your clothes! On those rainy days, however, an ENERGY STAR® certified clothes dryer is the best option for machine drying. Cape Light Compact offers a $50 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified electric dryers through the Mass Save rebate program. ENERGY STAR certified dryers use 20% less energy than conventional models which means even more savings.
2) Consider upgrading your Air Conditioning system. Cape Light Compact currently has several rebates for replacing heating and cooling equipment. We offer a number of rebates on heat pumps which can be used to both heat and cool your home. If you use window units for air conditioning, we offer a $40 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioners. These models use 10% less energy than other models, so be sure to look for a certified unit the next time you shop for a new air conditioner.
3) Dust off that old grill and fire it up. Grilling outside instead of turning on the oven or stove on hot days means you’ll be pumping less heat into your home, which can cause your AC to work even harder.
4) Insulate your home. Proper insulation will not only keep your home warmer during blustery winters on the Cape and Vineyard, but it will also keep your home cooler during the summer, which means your AC will not have to work as hard. The Compact offers an incentive that covers at least 75% of insulation upgrades for existing homes, but you may qualify for up to 100% coverage if you’re a year-round tenant with the electric account in your name or based on income level. Review our income guidelines to learn if this opportunity pertains to you.
5) Unplug or upgrade old refrigerators or freezers. Do you have an old refrigerator or freezer? Possibly an old unit in your garage or basement that you don’t use often? Old refrigerators and freezers can be very inefficient compared to newer models. If you have an old unit that you’re ready to get rid of, we can help you recycle it through the Mass Save Appliance Recycling program. We’ll take care of hauling the unit away and give you a rebate as a thank you for recycling.
6) Eating dinner on the deck? Replace those incandescent outdoor bulbs with LEDs. LEDs are long-lasting, often shatter-proof, and come in models that are damp or wet-rated – all important features to consider when choosing outdoor lighting! Cape Light Compact supports instant discounts on ENERGY STAR certified LED lighting through the Mass Save online store and at many local retailers. Use the Mass Save store locator to find participating retailers near you.
7) If you use a dehumidifier to reduce the dampness in your home or basement, use an ENERGY STAR certified dehumidifier. ENERGY STAR models use 28% less energy than conventional models. This energy reduction can translate to over $300 in energy cost savings over the lifetime of the dehumidifier. Also, Cape Light Compact offers a $30 rebate on ENERGY STAR certified dehumidifiers through the Mass Save rebate program.
And last but not least…
8) Call for a no-cost Home Energy Assessment. Our energy specialists will conduct an energy assessment of your home and recommend improvements that can save you energy and money as well as connect you to generous rebates and incentives to help make upgrades. Sign up online or call 1-800-797-6699.
Cape Light Compact encourages all Cape and Vineyard residents and homeowners to take advantage of these opportunities for savings! Explore our website to discover more rebate and incentive programs and for additional information. In the meantime, enjoy summer on the Cape and Vineyard!