Heat Pump Water Heater Rebates
A heat pump water heater can significantly reduce your monthly water heating costs.
The Sponsors of Mass Save® offer instant savings of $750 to residential electric customers that have a licensed plumber install a qualified heat pump water heater when replacing an existing residential electric, propane or oil water heater.
How does it work?
Reducing the upfront cost of heat pump water heaters makes them cost-competitive with traditional water heating systems, while being up to three times more efficient. There are two ways to receive an instant rebate on qualifying heat pump water heaters, both of which eliminate the need to fill out any paperwork.
- Work with an installer. When your installer purchases a qualifying unit at a participating distributor, an instant rebate of $750 will be automatically applied to the cost of the equipment and these cost savings will be applied directly to your installation invoice.2
- Purchase a qualifying unit from a participating retailer. The Sponsors of Mass Save® have partnered with several retailers across the state to offer you an instant in-store rebate of $750. You may purchase a heat pump water heater directly from the retailer to receive the instant rebate. Either visit https://e-rebates.org/masssave_hpwh or text MAHPWH to (413) 422-6229 to validate your eligibility and receive a code. Present the code at the register and an instant rebate of $750 will be applied to the purchase price.
Instant in-store rebates are available at the following Massachusetts retailers:
- Home Depot
To get started, work with a licensed contractor and make sure to specifically ask about installing a heat pump water heater and if they purchase from a distributor that offers instant savings. The savings will be passed down on your invoice so there is no need to worry about rebate forms or paperwork.
Click here to find additional tips on how to maximize the efficiency of your heat pump hot water heater.
The $750 instant savings is available for systems meeting the following criteria:
- Uniform Energy Factor (UEF) greater than or equal to 3.2
- This offer is available to residential customers of Cape Light Compact
- Equipment purchases and installations made between January 1, 2023, and December 31, 2023, are eligible.
- The new system(s) must be replacing an existing residential electric, propane or oil water heater. Natural gas replacement rebates available through National Grid
- Equipment must be installed by a licensed plumber.
- Equipment installation may be subject to a verification inspection.
High-Efficiency Oil & Propane Water Heating Equipment Rebates
|Fuel||Equipment||Rebate Amount||Efficiency Requirements|
|Propane||Indirect water heater||$300||Must be attached to a propane-fired heating system. Must replace a freestanding or tankless water heater. Solar storage tanks are not eligible.|
|Propane||On-demand tankless water heater||$550||Must be ENERGY STAR® certified with .87 Energy Factor (EF) or higher with electronic ignition|
|Oil||Indirect water heater||$300||Must be attached to an oil-fired heating system. Must replace a freestanding or tankless water heater. Solar storage tanks are not eligible.|
SUBMIT YOUR OIL OR PROPANE WATER HEATER REBATE ONLINE
PRINT YOUR OIL OR PROPANE WATER HEATER REBATE FORM TO SUBMIT BY MAIL
Looking for Natural Gas rebates? Click here.
Solar Domestic Hot Water
Harness the power of the sun to heat your hot water and receive $500-$1500 in rebates for making the upgrade.
Read more about Solar Domestic Hot Water by clicking here.
Preapproval is required and the unit must replace an electric hot water heater.