If you are the owner or operator of a residential multi-family facility with 5 or more units on the property, energy efficiency should be a key part of your business plan. Regardless of your income, rate code, or whether the building currently exists or is scheduled for construction, you may be eligible for programs for reducing your building’s energy usage.
Mass Save® offers Multi-Family Energy Assessments that identify cost-effective energy efficiency improvement or replacement opportunities. Utilizing a “whole building” approach, we focus on your building’s thermal envelope (shell insulation and air leakage conditions for units heated by natural gas or electricity) as well as lighting and mechanical systems. We will also assess in-unit savings potential for your tenants. This program is not available for oil or propane heated units.
Eligible multi-family facilities are defined as:
- Residential facilities with five or more dwelling units on the property.
- Buildings with income-eligible residents living in non-institutional multi-family facilities with five or more units owned or operated by a non-profit entity or a public housing authority. These facilities would qualify under the Mass Save® Low Income Multi-Family Program.
The following improvements may be eligible for Mass Save® incentives:
- Energy efficient lighting upgrades & controls
- Occupancy sensors
- Water Heating equipment
- Domestic hot water measures: low-flow showerheads, aerators, and pipe wrap
- Programmable thermostats
- Air sealing
- High-efficiency heating and cooling equipment upgrades and controls
- ENERGY STAR® qualified refrigerators and other eligible appliances
- Variable speed drives
- Energy Management Systems (EMS)
- Air compressors
- Heat Recovery Ventilators (HRV)/Energy Recovery Ventilators (ERV)
- Custom technologies
Note: Buildings with four or fewer units per property are served under the Mass Save® Residential programs and are not eligible for multi-family energy assessments.
Contact our Multi-Family Programs
For questions regarding the Mass Save® Multi-Family Program, please call (800) 594-7277.
For information about the Mass Save® Low Income Multi-Family Program, visit www.leanmultifamily.org or call (617) 348-6425.
Other Multifamily Related Resources:
The EPA has developed Portfolio Manager, an interactive energy management tool that allows you to track and assess energy and water consumption across your entire portfolio of buildings in a secure online environment. Whether you own, manage, or hold properties for investment, Portfolio Manager can help you set investment priorities, identify under-performing buildings, verify efficiency improvements, and receive EPA recognition for superior energy performance.
Visit the EPA’s Portfolio Manager Benchmarking Tool to learn more.