In 2000, Cape Light Compact’s (Compact) Aggregation Plan was approved by the Department of Telecommunications and Energy, now known as the Department of Public Utilities (DPU). This plan made the Compact the first municipal aggregator in the state. Since then, several municipal aggregators have been created in the state of Massachusetts.
On 8/27/13, the DPU sent a letter to the Compact asking us to review our plan to:
- Determine whether the Compact should file a revised Aggregation Plan to reflect current structure and operations;
- Consider removing obsolete terms and references; and
- Comply with any applicable laws, regulations and DPU precedent and the forthcoming decision in DPU 12-124 (Lowell Aggregation Plan).
At the 9/11/13 Compact Governing Board (“Board”) meeting, the Board created the following process to comply with this request.
- Inform Compact Member towns/counties and public of the Compact’s intent to review and possibly update Aggregation Plan
- Have Compact staff and legal counsel to review Aggregation Plan and propose revisions for Board consideration
- Consult with Department of Energy Resources (DOER) on Updated Aggregation Plan
- Hold a Board vote to release proposed Updated Aggregation Plan for public review
- Open a public comment period on the proposed revisions/updates of the Aggregation Plan
- Hold a Board vote to adopt Final Updated Aggregation Plan after public comment period ends
- Submit Final Updated Aggregation Plan to DPU
On 10/30/13, the DPU sent a letter to the Compact affirming that the Compact may continue operating its municipal aggregation program, including solicitation of bids for energy supply.
At the 12/11/13 Board meeting, the Board voted to release the proposed Updated Aggregation Plan for public comment and to hold 3 public information sessions.
Below is the video from the Board meeting on 12/11/13. The Aggregation Plan discussion starts at 16:35.
Public information sessions were held on the proposed revised plan on:
January 15, 2014 at 7pm at the Mashpee Public Library
January 16, 2014 at 7pm at the Orleans Town Hall
January 30, 2014 at 5:30pm at the Oak Bluffs Library *rescheduled date due to storm on 1/21*
Cape Light Compact received public comments through February 7, 2014.
On 2/26/14, the DPU sent a letter to the Compact stating that they wish to have a revised municipal aggregation plan filed no later than 4/4/14, in order for them to review the plan in a timely manner.
To view all documents related to the Compact’s filing, please visit the DPU File Room and search by Docket # 14-69.
Revised Updated Aggregation Plan - Filed August 20, 2014, and includes suggested edits from DPU
Updated Aggregation Plan Complete Filing - Filed with DPU on April 3, 2014 (Docket 14-69)
Final Revised Aggregation Plan - March 12, 2014
Final Revised Aggregation Plan (redlined version) - March 12, 2014
Proposed Updated Aggregation Plan - March 2014
Proposed Updated Aggregation Plan - December 2013